YouTube Interview experience - New Grad

Position: SDE new grad

I recently interviewed with YouTube and want to share my interview experience
Note: Google has changed its interview process and there were not any system design interview. All were coding questions. But, you should ask your recruiter beforehand.

Telephonic Screening

• Discussed about the internship project for first 10 mns and the challenges faced
  • First question : search in a rotated sorted array
    https://leetcode.com/problems/search-in-rotated-sorted-array/
  • Second question was a follow-up and interviewer just wanted to see approach (he didn’t ask me to code it). The question was to search in a rotated sorted array “with duplicates”
  • Asked to write test cases for my code
  • I gave an iterative solution. So, I was asked how will I solve it recursively
  • Why did I choose iterative approach over recursive?

On-site Rounds

5 interviews + Lunch

Round #1:

• Given a rectangle with width ‘W’ and height ‘H’, you have to fit a string ‘S’ in it with maximum possible font size
  • The font size ranges from 1 to 30
  • You are given two APIs getCharacterWidth(char c , int font_size) and getCharacterHeight(int font_size)
  • getCharacterWidth(char c , int font_size): returns the width of a character for a particular font size
  • getCharacterHeight(int font_size): returns the height of characters for a particular font size

Round #2:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX LUNCH BREAK XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Round #3:

• Brace Expansion
  • Given a string, perfrom the brace expansion
  • For example,
    Input: s = “a{d,c,b}e”
    output: {ade , ace , abe}

Round #4:

• Design a sparse vector class having the following methods
    • setValue(int index , int value)
    • getValue(int index)
    • getNumberZeros()

Round #5:

• start(int id , int startTime)
  • end(int id , int endTime)
  • When a process starts, it calls ‘start’ with process id and start-time. When the same process ends, it calls ‘end’ with process id and end-time.
  • Write code which prints the logs of this system sorted by the start-time of processes in the below format
    {Process id} started at {start-time} and ended at {end-time}