Status: New grad, MS CS Top 50 CS school
Position: SDE1 New Grad at Amazon
Location: Westborough, MA
Date: November 07, 2019
- 20 minutes of Debugging assessments. 7 Questions, each question has a minor bug in it and our task is to figure out the bug and fix it and make sure that all the test cases pass.
- 2 Standard coding questions to be completed in 90 minutes. One of them was https://leetcode.com/problems/subtree-of-another-tree/ and I don’t remember the second one, but it was really simple HashMap based question.
- It was a behavioral and analytical round of questions. The first part of the assessment was 5 sets of work-life based behavioral patterns like: “Your colleague pushed to production, without testing the code and a crash happened, how will you react in such scenario ?”, etc. So, they try to test your understanding of Amazon leadership principles in the first round. Make sure you are well versed with https://www.amazon.jobs/en/principles. And the second part of the assessment was 25 analytical problems like the ones you see in GRE, but a lot easier.
I completed all three assessments by October 2nd. I received an invitation to schedule a final round of interviews on October 22nd. The time-slots in the final round invitation get filled pretty quickly, make sure you fill the survey the moment you receive it.
- https://leetcode.com/problems/moving-average-from-data-stream/, https://leetcode.com/problems/sliding-window-maximum/
- A variant of https://leetcode.com/problems/meeting-rooms-ii/ where I had to find a minimum number of docks required to accommodate all the delivery trucks entering and exiting amazon warehouse, I had to pre-process the data and convert input timestamp data into minutes starting from 9:00 in the morning.
- https://leetcode.com/problems/string-to-integer-atoi/ with an extended question to solve Hexadecimal strings. (the Hexadecimal string will start with ‘0B’).
Also, I was asked two leadership questions in all three rounds. I would suggest the best way to prepare for a leadership interview questions is to ask your friend to conduct your mock behavioral interview. I was able to provide optimized solutions for all three problems.
I received an offer on November 13th. My status on the Amazon University portal changed to “Moved to another job” on November 11th. So, if your job status changes from “In progress” to “Moved to another job”, you’re most likely to receive an offer. Also, if you have completed the online assessment and are waiting for your final round to be scheduled, have some patience, they have a lot of candidates and the processing time is longer. Make sure to follow up on regular intervals with the recruiter.
P.S: The location assignment is based on their business needs. I tried negotiating location, but they don’t accommodate location change requests.