Online Assessment - HackerRank (90 minutes):
- 2 Medium, 1 Hard. Standard Leetcode problems.
Onsite (4 rounds)
Round 1: Coding round
- Variation of https://leetcode.com/problems/merge-k-sorted-lists/ , a simpler version. It took me a while to understand the problem statement and the interviewer was kind enough to explain the question clearly. I got the working solution in about half hour but the interviewer wanted an optimal solution. The interviewer actually steered me to the optimal solution. I got the optimal solution in just nick of time. The interviewer was pretty much satisfied with the solution.
Round 2: Coding plus some technical concepts
- https://leetcode.com/problems/k-closest-points-to-origin/ . Follow up questions on how the PQ will maintain the k elements.
- Find a duplicate from n sequential numbers. One and only one duplicate present, numbers start from 1…n. This was fairly simple problem, took me about 5 mins to come up with the solution.
Round 3: Behavioral
- Regular Tell me about a time… questions, I tried to answer in STAR pattern.
Round 4: Design
- Design a Logger.
- Design Expedia like site.
First things first Leetcode rocks , had it not been for Leetcode I wouldnt be able to crack a Seattle company. To tell you the truth I have considered myself below par in terms of knowing my Data structures and algorithms, I came across Leetcode earlier this year and I saw the community is so supportive and motivating that I decided to give it a try. There were times, I was not able to solve even the easiest of the easy problem and I just felt demotivated and dumb. I kept trying and trying and trying, I realised there are patterns to many of the problems that gets asked in an interview. If I can try to crack the pattern then I should be able to crack similar questions. For e.g., questions of the type K most/Max K/Min K or Buy and Sell Stock problems . All I can say is after preparing from Leetcode I was a different person during the interviews.
About the company, This was my second attempt and I am glad I was able to crack it. Expedia is very employee friendly company and I happened to share the passion for travel with the company. The perks, benefits and compensation is pretty much the same as one would expect from a Seattle company.
- Initially started with CTCI, did selected few chapters.
- Data Structures and Algorithm concepts: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZCFT11CWBi3MHNlGf019nw . Yet another legend Abdul Bari.
- ~200 Leetcode problems. Mainly DP, Graphs, Trees and String. Easy and Medium problems.
- LP Q&A: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw0uQHve23oMWgQcTTpgQsQ
- For difficult problem explaination : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJz2DV1a3yfgrR7GqRtUUA
- Design: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=success+in+tech+system+design
- Design: Legendary Github https://github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer
- Design: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gaurav+sen+system+design