Tips for the Atlassian Intern Interview Process

Hello world! I’m Emily and I recently accepted an offer to be an Intern Developer at Atlassian this summer! Although the interview process is usually incredibly daunting, I actually found that I fell more in love with the company as I went through the process. From what the interviews emphasized to the people I met, I came to learn so much more about Atlassian and realized that it really aligns with what I believe to be important.

I know that many of you will also want to secure an internship with Atlassian! Here are some of my tips for the interview process, bearing in mind that these are only tips that I’ve found worked for me. At the end of the day, you are the only person that knows what will work to get you ready to smash those interviews !

1: Hackerrank Coding Test

This first phase is an online test administered by Hackerrank to test your coding abilities in a timed environment.

• Practice, practice, practice! Coding websites like Hackerrank will have a whole suite of problems at the scope of an interview question. The more problems you see the more of these problem-solving skills you will acquire.
  • Preview the Hackerrank test environment that will be sent to you via an email link. You don’t want to be distracted by the editor or input/output format when attempting the problems.
  • Choose a good time to do the test. Make sure that you’ve had a good night’s sleep, you’re feeling energized, and that you will be undisturbed during the time. You’ve done all the practice you can, now’s the time to show off your skills!

2: Phone Interview

Upon satisfactory completion of the coding test (I certainly did not pass all test cases perfectly), you will be invited for a phone interview with your recruiter.

• Know the Atlassian values . The company values are a huge part of shaping the culture at Atlassian. Think about how these values resonate with you. When have you demonstrated these values in your own life?
  • Research the company. Which products does Atlassian offer? Try playing around with a few if you don’t already use them. Why do you want to work at Atlassian and hence on these products, specifically?
  • Review your resume . Make sure you can back up everything that you write on there. Remember to always refer to concrete examples so that the interviewer can get the best sense of your experiences.
  • Practice the STAR method ! When you properly elaborate your ideas, the recruiter can clearly see why they should be hiring you!

3: On-Site Interview

There is a set of interviews that are conducted at the Atlassian offices. This is an intense half-day, but it is also a great chance to talk to various engineers at Atlassian and ask them all the questions you have about their work!

3.1: Values Interview

In this hour, you will have the chance to sit down with an engineer and they will ask you various questions about your experiences. Previous projects you’ve worked on, how you deal with conflicts, how you approach new projects, and many more areas are all on the table.

• Practice talking out loud, preferably to another person . It’s natural to feel nervous when answering these questions, but the more practice you have expressing yourself to strangers the less scary it will become.
  • You can even try recording yourself talking and listening to it again. Is there anything you do that would make yourself hard to understand? Do you talk too quickly? Do you say “umm” too many times? Use these observations to help yourself improve your speaking skills.
  • Take a breath . The interview questions do come back-to-back, but you have plenty of time. Take some time to think of a good example. If you need more time to think of an example, narrate your thoughts as you go through your memory. Take big breaths between sentences . It’ll help to get you back on track if you start veering off on a tangent .

3.2: Whiteboard Interview

With the help of a whiteboard and markers, explain all the ins and out of a project you’ve worked on.

• Explain the entire life cycle of your project. What was the problem’s scope? Was it given to you by a lecturer or was it a personal project? How did you break down the problem? What was your design? How did you approach coding? What were your test cases? How did you come up with the test cases? Which problems came up during testing? Did you have to refactor? What was the final outcome of the project? What would you do differently now?
  • Try explaining your project to a friend . Are they able to understand all the details of your project?

3.3: Coding Interview

You will again have a chance to demonstrate your coding skills. However, this time there will be an interviewer in the room with you. You will collaborate in a coding environment set up by Hackerrank to solve the problems given to you. The emphasis this round is to be clear in your approach to the problem. The interviewer has to understand your thought process and how your code works.

• Practice coding out loud . You want the interviewer to be able to follow your train of thought. A long awkward silence as you code doesn’t tell the interviewer anything about how you approach problems.
  • Ask your interviewer when you should proceed to coding, then do so! Make sure to use lots of comments and to narrate as you type so that the interviewer can follow. Check in periodically with your interviewer to make sure they know where you’re at in the document. The Hackerrank environment lets you input test cases . Do some of your own testing before running the given test suite. Print statements are your friend when debugging.
  • When you’ve finished your solution, give a time and space cost analysis then reflect . If the cost is relatively high, how could you improve these costs? Which situations would definitely require a lower cost to be manageable? Would you improve your code’s design in any way? Is there excessive repetition?

Hopefully, you are now armed with everything you need to start preparing for your Atlassian interviews! With luck, I will see you in the offices this summer!

转自 https://www.linkedin.com/wukong-web/articleShare/6547085299313455104